Thursday, August 27, 2020

Beginning at the End

 As mentioned previously, I'm gathering thoughts for my online class at the Loft. 

I should be thinking about world-building, since that's the subject I have open in the other tab, but I'd previously discussed beginnings--you know, how to hook a reader with a snazzy opening line or starting in the middle of the action. Now, I'm wondering if I should record some thoughts about beginnings, in particular, how critical it is to end as strongly as you start.

I'm not sure how much I actually know about that, since I'm weirdly terrible at endings--at least when I'm writing the first drafts of them.  By the time my ends are in books, they've been through several drafts, including an editorial one.  But, when I'm first finishing a book, I'm often just rushing towards the deadline at full speeds and then stop. My writers group will always tell me "the ending feels rushed."

They're always right.

There is at least one book of mine where I know that I dropped what was cool about the opening completely and kind of never touched on it again.  I don't want to name names, because it's also one of my more wildly successful books? But, if as my colleague Kelly McCullough says, you should start with a problem statement and then end the book with the solution to that problem, I kind of never did that with this book. So, clearly that's not critical to a book's success or failure.

*

I don't know if this blog post has any real thoughts to impart. I'm just trying to get back in the habit of thinking about writing and writing about writing. 

No comments: