Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Finally, Waxing Moon!

I've really been feeling the various moon phases in terms of writing this year. Last night, I actually started really thinking about my book again and I realized, looking at the moon calendar in the bathroom, that it was NEW MOON. Weird, huh?

In other news, I swear Hotmail eats my really thoughtful responses to my WitchSchool Study Group questions. One of the mentors on the list asked if there was anything about Wicca that we could change, big or small, what would it be and why. (An excellent, thought-provoking question, IMHO). And as I was falling asleep last night I thought about what I wanted to say. I wrote this wonderful response this morning about how, in the beginning of Silver Ravenwolf's book TO STIR A MAGIC CAUDLRON she tells this story about a guy who phones her and is looking for help with somekind of magical / psychic attack. She asks him what daily devotions he's doing, and he replies with a stunned: uh, none. She's righteously indignant about this, but the story always left me wondering why. It's not like the spiritual aspects of Wicca are emphasized at all -- particularly in the "beginning" or introductory books. In fact, Ravenwolf herself doesn't really bring up the subject until her second big "how-to" book. (TO RIDE A SILVER BROOMSTICK being sort of her first one.) If you skimmed most beginning Wicca books, you'll likely see tons more spells to get you stuff entries than ones on how to live a compassionate, decent life....

So what I said I'd like to change was that sense that Wicca is mostly a "what do I get if I burn this particular color of candle" instead of a "how do I become a better person more in touch with the divine" kind of gig.

It was really nice and thoughtful and...

Hotmail seems to have eaten it.

Grr.

No comments: