Monday, October 02, 2006

Respect for arthropods (and other ick!)

When I asked Mason what I should blog about this is what he suggested:

“Dear dot-com.,
Nothing else. Now let’s look at ‘deep sea’ + ‘ocean creatures.’”

He’s just discovered the wonderful powers of google, and that there is a world of images of his favorite things: hammerhead sharks, Brazilian wandering spiders, Madagascar hissing cockroaches, black widow spiders, harvestmen (the arachnid family that daddylonglegs belongs to [pictured]), giant squid, etc. Whenever he sees me sitting at the computer, he always comes up to me and tells me what search words he wants me to use (even when I’m not online.)

I have to say that I have learned to enjoy things -- and by "things" I mostly mean arthropods, a.k.a "bugs" -- thanks to being a parent to a curious boy like Mason. Even though it means sometimes picking up millipeds in my backyard and inwardly thinking "eew".... I tell myself that by not cringing and shrieking like the Nelly Queen I truly am, I am hopefully fostering exploration, etc., etc. for my budding entomologist.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tell Mason to check out the image library of the US Fish and Wildlife Service:

http://images.fws.gov/

Some truly spectacular pictures of all kinds of beasties all in the public domain.

Tell him they are from me!

tate hallaway said...

I will!

(Oh, and hey, can we start emailing again?)

Naomi said...

Oh, that's awesome.

Kiera demands music videos on YouTube. *sigh*.