Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Teachin' and Dreamin'

Do you ever have reoccuring dreams?

I have a lot of them. But, because I periodically teach writing at the Loft, I have a cyclical teaching dream. Usually, it involves what I would call classic dream tropes: I'm lost, I can't the classroom, I was supposed to be teaching months ago, the bus is late/my car has no brakes, etc., etc.

Last night, I had the weirdest twist on my usual teaching dream. In the dream, I showed up to class with my syllabus and a cheery attitude, but I quickly discovered that everyone taking the class knew each other from an on-line group. They had even appointed a specific woman to be the "moderator" for the class and she started handing out syllabus that the on-line group had created. Of course, the things on their list I knew nothing about... I specifically remember that I was supposed to lecture on the topic of "children in science fiction." Anyway, when I tried to gain some control over the class and suggest some compromises between my plans and their, the moderator woman got in a huff and basically organized a walk-out.

Am I worried about class tonight, Dr. Frued? What do you think?

Oh, and if you're local and you suddenly want to take my class, you can still sign up. Here's a link to the details: Mars Needs Writers.

No comments: